In the era of mass surveillance, our communications are being hoovered up, searched and stored by both corporations and intelligence agencies, without a warrant and with almost zero transparency. While we should be fighting for our right to privacy, creating and amending laws is hard and can take years. Dr Andy Yen is the CEO of ProtonMail, a secure email service based in Switzerland. Today we discuss why it’s important for even regular, “uninteresting” people to use a truly secure and private email service.
In the news this week, hundreds of top websites are tracking everything you do and Intel comes clean about a horrendous flaw in their secretive Management Engine that is part of every CPU they’ve made in the last 8 years. I’ll tell what you can do about it. Also, in the Tip of the Week, I’ll tell you about a new free service that can protect you from bad websites.
Dr. Andy Yen is the CEO and Co-Founder of Protonmail. Andy has over 8 years of experience in distributed computing for demanding particle physics applications. Andy was a researcher at CERN from 2009 to 2015, where ProtonMail’s founding team met. He has a PhD in Physics from Harvard and a degree in Economics from Caltech.
For Further Insight:
- Website: https://protonmail.com/
- Twitter URL: https://twitter.com/ProtonMail
- LinkedIn URL: https://www.linkedin.com/in/andy-yen-03a9676
- Quad9’s free DNS service protects you as you surf: http://firewallsdontstopdragons.com/evading-malware-quad9-dns/
- Help me to help you! Visit: https://patreon.com/FirewallsDontStopDragons