This morning, I was thinking about how much our society has disconnected head from heart.
Even when we think about all that personal development we’ve become so obsessed with, much of it is focused on the brain, on re-wiring the way we think.
That’s all great… but what about all those elements we used to refer to as ‘soft skills’? What about our emotions? The heart? Our souls?
I thought about the business world too – about how much emphasis we place on profits over people, on the bottom line over compassion, empathy, intuition, joy. Call me an old hippy if you like, but I’m pretty sure business would be healthier if we remembered some of the superpowers of humanKIND.
So, I decided to shake things up a bit. (I know – not like me at all, is it?!)
Where could I get that message in front of thousands of business people fast?
I wrote a post for LinkedIn, gave it the same headline as this article and listed some of the attributes I believe matter – those that sometimes get pushed down the priority list.
I hit ‘post’ and held my breath.
Guess what? At the time of writing this article, the response had been overwhelmingly positive. Maybe there’s hope for us after all.
You can check the post out – and the comments – right here if you’d like to.
Here’s what I listed after ‘Be The Kind Of Person Who…’
- Puts people above profit
- Asks how someone’s doing and really wants to hear the answer.
- Smiles at people even if they don’t smile back.
- Knows how many kids your staff members have, what their partner’s name is and what kind of dog they have – not from their file, but from talking to them
- Isn’t afraid to ask someone if they’re okay more than once if they answer ‘fine’, but look like they’re not.
- Dares to trust their gut and make that decision or dig a bit deeper when intuition tugs on your sleeve.
- Is brave enough to go against the crowd for something you know is right.
- Can support someone and empathise, even if you have a different opinion.
- Cares about the mark they leave in the world, in every place they visit and every person they meet.
- Be the kind of person you wished for when no-one was there for YOU.
- The kind of person the world needs more than ever.
Be the kind of person who brings
- More kindness.
- More compassion.
- More empathy.
- More intuition.
- More joy.
- Be more YOU.
For me, a rule of thumb is: follow your heart and remember to take your head with you.
What do YOU think? Do we need to bring back the ‘feels’ a bit?
If so, what would you add to that list?
Until next time,