Have you noticed how time seems to be accelerating? Time literally does “fly by” Life appears to happen so quickly! Instead of complaining about how quickly time passes. I decided to give some thought about how I could leverage the quick passing of time to my advantage. Since time is passing so quickly I want to find a way to accelerate all the good that I know our Creator has. Hence my 5 ways to accelerate wellness, joy and peace.
Make It a Priority to Spend Quiet Time Everyday – since time goes by so fast these days – we don’t take the time to slow down enough for quiet time. This is a mistake. We need that down time. We need to just stop, be quiet and allow our thoughts to slow down…or better yet STOP. Whether you pray, meditate or both, plan to take at least 5 minutes a day. Whether it is first thing in the morning, during the day, or before you go to bed. Taking the time to be quiet has huge benefits:
- can lower your heart rate
- helps your body to relax
- allows you to hear that inner voice that leads, guides and directs you
- can lower blood pressure
- helps you to make better decisions
- gets rid of that overwhelmed, stressed out feeling
Increase Your “Happy” – Do something that brings you joy, makes you laugh, everyday. We spend a lot a time on “serious” stuff. All the more reason to begin to look for the “joy” the “happy” in every situation. There are many health and wellness benefits to having more laughter in your life. Here are just a few:
- reduces your anxiety and depression
- helps you sleep more soundly
- increases your “happy” hormones
- improves blood flow and circulation
- boosts your immune system
- improves your memory
Start Living a Life of Gratitude – Focusing on the good in your life not only helps you feel better but you will find yourself looking at life in a more positive way. There is so much for which to be thankful. Take a moment and think of 5 things you are thankful for right now. Bet it didn’t take that long; did it? No matter how small, we need to focus on those things in our lives that are positive rather than focusing on negative stuff that happens in the course of a day. Living a life of gratitude has many benefits as well:
- improves your physical health (few aches and pains, less illness)
- improves your self-esteem
- you will sleep better
- enhances you mental strength
- strengthens your relationships
- good for the heart (improves hyper-tension)
Learn How To Minimize The Impact of Stress – Stress can lead to chronic disease, heart disease, obesity and cancer. It is difficult to get rid of all the stress we encounter on a daily basis. But we can minimize how it impacts our bodies. Here are a few things that can help your body out during stressful times:
- eat foods that fortify your body when your stressed
- get out in nature for just 15 minutes – take a brisk quick walk, it is amazing how much better you feel
- journal- write about how you are feeling, what happened that upset you, that caused you frustration and/or anger. Get it out!
- take Yoga – a wonderful movement for the body that focuses on breathing, stretching, and strength all of which are excellent when minimizing the impact of stress on your body
Take Better Care of Your Temple – You have heard this before. I know you are aware of the importance to take better care of your “temple”, your body. It doesn’t have to be difficult. In fact if you just stick to the basics it will take you a long way to living a better and happier life.
- 30 minutes of movement a day (you can split it up if you want – 15 min. in the am 15 min. in the pm)
- drink half your body weight in water (add lemon to it and detox your liver)
- get enough rest (sleep 6 to 8 hours..take a 15 minute quick nap during the day if needed)
- go to your medical practitioner and find out what is happening with you body and then if something needs to be addressed – ADDRESS IT!
- increase your self-care and self-love