It has been 25 years since the EPA has added a new drinking water contaminant to the “Safe Drinking Water Act.” Keep in mind, legal does not equate to safe.
Americans are being plagued with health problems such as cancers, thyroid disease, weakened immunity, children with lowered IQ, miscarriages and various other health risks, through the known extent of the contamination of U.S.Communities with PFCs aka perfluorochemicals the highly fluorinated toxic chemicals also known as (PFASs) —polyfluoroalkyl and perfluoroalkyl substances.
You will want to check yourself and that of your loved ones through this online database to get an idea of the poisons and toxins in your environment. Researchers published the findings of their five year study in an online database, searchable by zip code or a local utility’s name, with findings on tap water in public water systems in all 50 states.
A search under the New York City zip code 10017 found tap water contaminated with over 10 cancer causing chemical including Bromodichloromethane, chloroform, chromium, dichloroacetic acid, dioxane and strontium, among others. Another search under the Flowery Branch Ga zip code of 30542 found contaminated with over 3 cancer causing chemicals, Dichloroacetic acid, Radiological contaminants, Total trihalomethanes (TTHMs).
The chemicals can come from agricultural runoff, industry, treatment byproducts, or be naturally occurring.
Cancer-causing pollutants detected in most tap water across US
The tap water was tested for 500 different contaminants and researchers found evidence of 267.
EWG said most people find a glass tap water comes with a dose of industrial and agricultural contaminants that have been “linked to cancer, brain and nervous system damage, or developmental defects.”
Researchers discovered 93 chemicals that are linked to increased risk of cancer. Of those 78 chemicals were linked with brain and nervous system damage, 63 linked to developmental harm to children or fetuses, 45 linked to hormone disruption and 38 might cause fertility problems.
Other findings were that more than 40,000 water systems had detection’s of known or likely carcinogens exceeding established federal or state health guidelines.
A subsequent report released with the database noted that contaminants detected in the nation’s tap water included:
- 93 linked to an increased risk of cancer. More than 40,000 water systems had detections of known or likely carcinogens exceeding established federal or state health guidelines – levels that pose minimal but real health risks, but are not legally enforceable.
- 78 associated with brain and nervous system damage.
- 63 connected to developmental harm to children or fetuses.
- 45 linked to hormone disruption.
- 38 that may cause fertility problems.
- Chromium-6, made notorious by the film “Erin Brockovich.” This carcinogen, for which there are no federal regulations, was detected in the drinking water supplies serving 250 million Americans in all 50 states.
- 1,4-Dioxane, an unregulated compound that contaminates tap water supplies for 8.5 million people in 27 states at levels above those the EPA considers to pose a minimal cancer risk.
- Nitrate, chemical from animal waste or agricultural fertilizers, was detected in more than 1,800 water systems in 2015, serving 7 million people in 48 states above the level that research by the National Cancer Institute shows increases the risk of cancer – a level just half of the federal government’s legal limit for nitrate in drinking water.
Until laws are placed into action to protect Americans from the unsafe waters we drink and bathe in, it is up to each and everyone of us to become an activist, if not for ourselves for our loved ones. We have witnessed the unfolding of torrential menacing regarding the quality of life here in America by those compartmentalized law makers in government who use their platforms as their own personal endowment plan, it is up to us to hold these people who work for us, accountable. Share your sources of information as KNOWLEDGE is POWER.
For Further Insight:
The following sources go into detail regarding cancer causing contaminates, chemicals and toxic pesticides in our water systems, altering the biology of all living things.